Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a chronic gastrointestinal disorder which includes pain in abdominal and changes in the bowel movements pattern without any evidence of underlying damage. These symptoms occur over a long time, often years. IBS negatively affects the quality of life and may result in missed school or work.
Types of IBS
IBS has been divided into four main types depending on the condition
- (IBS-D) – If diarrhoea is common.
- (IBS-C) – If constipation is common.
- Mixed IBS (IBS-M) – If there is an alternating pattern of constipation and diarrhoea.
- Unsubtyped IBS (IBS-U) – people don’t fit into above 3 categories.
Causes of IBS
- While there are several things known to trigger IBS symptoms, the exact cause of irritable bowel syndrome is unknown. Studies suggest that it is a result from a combination of abnormal gastrointestinal (GI) tract movements, increased awareness of bodily functions, and a disruption in the communication between the brain and the Gl tract.
- Some think that IBS happens when the muscles in the bowels don’t squeeze normally, which affects the movement of stool. But studies don’t seem to back this up.
- Another theory suggests it may involve the role of chemicals made by the body, such as serotonin and gastrin that control nerve signals between the brain and digestive tract.
- Other studies point out for certain types of bacteria in the bowels which can lead to the IBS.
Symptoms of IBS
- Diarrhoea (violent type of diarrhoea).
- Constipation alternating with diarrhoea.
- Pain in abdomen, mainly in lower part, that get worse after meals and feel better after a bowel movement.
- A lot of gas or bloating.
- Change in consistency of stool – Harder or looser stools than normal.
- A belly that sticks out.
- Some people also have urinary symptoms or sexual problems.
Risk Factors for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Abnormal Peristaltic movements of the colon and small intestines.
- Hypersensitivity to pain caused by gas or full bowels.
- A viral or bacterial infection of the GIT.
- Imbalance of Reproductive hormones or neurotransmitters.
- Anxiety or depression may accompany IBS.
Treatment of IBS
By combining the natural therapy like Homoeopathy and following right food plan & lifestyle, nearly all people with IBS can get help. You and your doctor will need to work together to find the right treatment plan to manage your symptoms.
There are many things in the environment which can trigger IBS symptoms, including certain foods, medicines, bowel movements, and emotional stress. You’l need to know what your triggers are. You may need to make some lifestyle changes and medication accordingly.
Foods need to be Avoid in case of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Certain foods including some vegetables and legumes may worsen bloating and indigestion, such as :
Cabbage, Cauliflower, Radishes, Horseradish, Broccoli, Chinese cabbage, Collard greens, Black beans, black-eyed peas, Lentils, Lima beans, Red kidney beans, Soy nuts
Some foods may trigger symptoms of abdominal cramps and diarrhoea, including: .
Fatty foods, Fried foods, Coffee, Caffeine, Alcohol ,Sorbitol (a sweetener found in many diet foods, candies, and gums) • Fructose (found naturally in honey and some fruits, and also used as a sweetener) Eating large meals may also trigger abdominal cramping and diarrhoea.
Foods need to be taken in case of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) •
- Add more fiber to your diet with foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains and nuts.
- Drink at least three to four glasses of water per day.
- Eat smaller meals more often instead of big meals.
- Keep a record of the foods you eat so you can figure out which foods bring on bouts of IBS.
- Lifestyle needs to be changed to relieve the symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
In addition to dietary changes, there are some healthy habits that may also help reduce IBS symptoms.
- Maintain good physical fitness by exercise regularly to improve bowel function.
- Avoid Stress & Anxiety by stress management.
- Quit smoking.
- Avoid coffee/caffeine and chewing gum.
- Stop consuming alcohol.
- Use relaxation techniques: deep breathing, visualization, Yoga.
- Socialize with friends. Indulge in your favorite hobbies like reading, listening to music, painting etc.
- Pain management techniques can improve tolerance to pain. Cognitive behavioral therapy or psychotherapy with trained counselors.
Homeopathic Treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
In homeopathy, diseases are treated by natural substances. It treats and cures the root cause of the ailment without any side effects. The conventional system of medicine has practically no treatment for IBS, but homeopathy can give a total cure. Homeopathy is effective in treating various GIT (Gastrointestinal tract) problems, such as Diarrhoea, constipation, colitis, Indigestion, Gastritis, Flatulence, GERD and IBS. There are many good homeopathic medicines like Aloes, Arsenic album, Lycopodium, Nux vomica, Natrum Muriaticum, Merc sol, Pulsatilla, Sulphur, Thuja etc. which can treat IBS and other GIT disorders.
Aloes 30 – This medicine is indicated in IBS when diarrhoea is the main symptom. There is a constant bearing down sensation in the rectum with a feeling of weakness and sense of insecurity in the rectum. The stool is lumpy, watery and jelly-like stools, with soreness in rectum after stool. The stool is full of mucus, with pain in the rectum. He often ends up passing stool while passing flatus.
Argentum Nitricum 30 – These patients are usually nervous by nature and start getting diarrhoea whenever they undergo any mental exertion or has any important engagement coming up. There is a great desire to eat sweets. Diarrhoea comes immediately after eating or drinking. The stool is Watery, noisy, offensive, flatulent; green, like chopped spinach, with mucus and enormous distention of abdomen.
Alumina 30 – Constipation is a prominent symptom of Alumina patient. The intestines work at a very slow pace in such patients. The stool is very hard, dry, and knotty with no desire to pass it. The stool is expelled out by putting much strain. In some case, stool can be soft, but the passage of stool is very difficult with much effort in both cases. There is abnormal craving for indigestible things like Chalk, Charcoal, dry food, raw rice etc. with the aversion to meat.
Carbo Veg 30 – Flatulence and abdominal distention are the predominant symptoms of Carbo Veg patient. He cannot bear tight clothing around waist and abdomen The digestion is slow. The patient has aversion to fatty food, meat, and milk. There are frequent, involuntary and cadaverous-smelling stools, which are followed by burning at anus.
Lycopodium 30 – In Lycopodium, there is heaviness in the abdomen after eating a small quantity of food. The abdomen feels full and distended. The stool is hard, difficult, small and incomplete with ineffectual urging. The desire for very hot food and drinks is a very important indicator for Lycopodium.
Nux Vomica 30 – In Nux patient, there is a pain in the abdomen which got relieved by passing the stool, Nux Vomica is one of the best medicine for IBS. There are alternate constipation and diarrhoea due to abuse of purgatives. Such patients are usually short tempered and aggressive in their behaviour Prolonged use of stimulants like tea, coffee, and alcohol is another indicative symptom.
Pulsatilla 30 – When there is little thirst with suffocation in a closed room; Pulsatilla is the best homeopathic remedies for IBS. The taste of the mouth remains bitter. There is rumbling in the abdomen with watery stool which increases in the night Oily & Spicy food causes diarrhoea. Patient likes to be in the open air. The mental makeup of the patient is such that he or she is usually mild and docile with a lot of changeable symptoms.
Ask A Doctor
You can now consult our well qualified homeopathic doctor for homeopathic treatment of any kind of disease. The consultancy fee is only Rs 200/- . Post making the payment you will be asked about the disease and the symptoms of your disease. Based on your problem, the doctor will instruct you with the name of the medicine and the method of having the medicine. You can make the payment via Paytm App or your debit card. For more inquiry contact on the WhatsApp number - +919006242658